View Single Post
Old 11-09-2006, 02:28 PM   #23
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Callum:
I'm enjoying the game, (and it patched fine on my DVD version), but it's just so SLOW. I have an Athlon X2 3800+, 2 GB of RAM and a 7900 GT... Yet the frame rate is less than 30, with all settings turned off, at 1280 x 1024.

Now I can understand that the 7900 GT isn't bleeding edge anymore, but come on!? If I enable ANY settings, the game becomes almost unplayable, at 10-15 FPS, and even on the max settings, it's not like the game is beautiful.

I also tried the game on my laptop, a Sony Vaio with the Core Duo T2400 (1.83 GHz), 1 GB of RAM, and a GeForce Go 7400, and it simply cannot run. At 800 x 600, with all details off, and every option at its lowest setting, the game is still too jerky and unresponsive to play. Now this laptop wasn't ever going to be a powerhouse gaming machine, but it should be able to play it at some level shouldn't it?
It is a video card hog but your frames shouldn't be that low with a 7900gt. It is still, IMHO a pretty top-line card. My 7600gt system runs better than that -even my 6800 system does. Try bring everything down to minumum first and run at 1024 x rez. Make SURE antialiasing and antisoptric filtering isn't forced on in your Nvidia tab. Dump Bloom for testing purposes too. Kill what you can, water shaders, water effects, set shadows to "none" etc. The game doesn't really change that much even with most settings maxed. Just don't hit that setting that makes the game look all pixelated and horrible when you select "None". Leave it at "Point". Test your frames this way and see what you get.

Understand, I am going by your report that your frames stay under 30fps always. If you have a steady 30fps or above most of the time that isn't a bad framerate and would sound about right. In large battles with spells going off you can expect a drop. This game is poorly coded or something, we're still not certain.