View Single Post
Old 09-14-2001, 08:27 AM   #27
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
Moni, when I read that last comment, my stomach turned over. I could be misunderstanding your intent here, so forgive me in advance, please, if I have..... but Moni, I am 64, almost 65. Think about that. I was brought up during world war 2. I had bombs dropping close to my home. My parents were out almost every night doing ambulance duty (mom was a nurse) or firewatching (dad was a fireman). We spent most nights with our grandparents and we never knew if our mom and dad would come home. We had anti-aircraft barrages just at the top of our road, and the stuttering of their guns every night and often during the day, Grman bombers were frequently overflying our home on the way to bomb the local airport, and mistaking the new roading at one end of our roead for the airport runways, and bombing it.
You Americans have NEVER had your precious flesh touched on the scale that we in the UK have. NEVER. And even the UK was not touched as much as the rest of Europe.
And NOW the middle Eastern countries have suffered terrible loss of life in bombings and missile attackes while the American soldiery stayed home 'cos 'American soldiers musn't be hurt'.
I'm stopping now, 'cos I'm getting incoherant and may go way over the top.
And I still hate jingoism.

Not getting at you, Moni, nor Americans, really, but, much as my heart goes out to you there is a little bit of me that keeps saying 'maybe NOW they get some understanding of the rest of the world's anguish'. WE understand America's suffering. It is so sad that America seems blind to anyone elses.
Sorry. I just had to say it.

If you want to kick me off the forum, so be it.

Fljotsdale, I know that this is not the point of your post, and I swear, I'm not making light. I just wanted to know what jingoism is. I've tried to find it, and cant seem to.

BTW...You have sincere hugs from *this* yank. I'm only 29, so I've only read and seen on documentaries what you lived through. But, to the extent that I can, I empathize with you.

------------------
"In Memorium of those who are gone, and all those that bought our freedom with their hearts blood!"

"May the Colors of Liberty never run"