Old 03-26-2003, 04:29 PM   #43
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Rokenn:
Quote:
Originally posted by Cerek the Barbaric:
[QB
I also can't help but wonder how staunchly Stephen Downs' First Amendment rights would have been defended if he had gotten a T-shirt made that said "NUKE IRAQ". I have a strong feeling that many of those currently supporting Stephen Downs would have been on the other side of the fence and would be saying "Yeah, he has a right to own that T-shirt...but the mall certainly had a right to ask him to remove it."
It would have been just as wrong Cerek. So I would have been on the same side of the fence as I am now.[/QB][/QUOTE]I can respect that, Rokenn. Part of my frustration is that I'm having this same debate among my own circle of friends..so I'm repeating myself a lot. My staunchest opponent in THAT group tried this same tactic on me by asking if I would still feel the same if the Stephen Downs was wearing a shirt that said "God Bless America" {since I'm a Christian}. I responded that I would STILL feel exactly the same. I don't have a problem with Stephen Downs shirt at all....I just think HE was the one that deliberately created a confrontation - NOT the security guard. I also happen to think he was WRONG to do that. I actually DO NOT agree with the mall's policy...but that's not the point. The point is that the mall does have a right to institute whatever policies they feel are necessary to ensure thier businesses run smoothly and the patrons have an obligation to observe those policies while they are on that mall's property. If they find one or more of those policies to be offensive...then GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!!! They don't HAVE to shop at Crossgates.

{sigh}Sorry....I simply can't seem to maintain my composure over this incident (maybe I should list it in the "Pet Hates" thread ). It angers me on a level far deeper than I originally realized. Still, I do respect the fact that you would hold true to your position also, no matter WHAT message was on the shirt. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]