View Single Post
Old 12-18-2004, 11:36 PM   #24
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Callum:
I don't understand exactly why IE is integrated... It comes with the OS, so I'm not paying extra, or regaining any money by not using. Firefox is free, as is mozilla and netscape. Where does the money cme from?
Microsoft are beggining to enforce "IE is Windows" - that is, IE is only upgraded when Windows is. Meaning, even though MS isn't getting money through IE directly, they are forcing you to buy a new copy of Windows (giving them money) just to get a new browser. Or, at least, they think that that's the effect it will have. I think it will make piracy of MS stuff even more widespread...
As to Firefox and Mozilla, they are free because the authors have no interest in charging for them. Their incentive comes from making a program that the community will be happy with, which will also give their customers more reason to buy larger software packages from them in future. Also, they do sell Firefox on CD, aswell as selling a guidebook, and other donationware. If you're wondering, then, why they don't charge for their products anyway, I see it like this: Ziroc doesn't charge us for using Ironworks, either (and has, on several occasions, blatantly refused to even consider it). We are here because we want to be, not because we can afford to be. It is the same with Mozilla corp and their products. Mozilla corp accept donations aswell, in the same way that Ironworks does (although, they aren't forced to live off these like Ironworks is).
As to Netscape, it isn't free. They don't charge you money admitedly, but they have plugs to other AOL products (products which often have spyware,, and hence $$$ for AOL), and Netscape can't be personalised at all: everything is locked to default.