View Single Post
Old 11-19-2004, 03:40 PM   #22
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Congratulations, Hiero! I know you must have put in some hard yards because you don't get honours just by showing up, so I'm so pleased for you [img]smile.gif[/img] . Best of luck with the rest of your studies and then your teaching in Japan [img]smile.gif[/img]

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hierophant:
Dude, hella respect on going for the PhD! [img]smile.gif[/img] For me a PhD just sounds too gargantuan an academic undertaking to actually get started right now.
It is kind of scary. I'm glad in a way that I'm doing a combined coursework-research PhD so that I have other stuff to do rather than just research so it isn't just 3 years stretching ahead of me to do a mammoth project. But then at the same time it's bad because I have 4.5 years to do this thing and so I really have LESS time to do the research given all the coursework and prac. Ah well, I'm pushing ahead with it anyway [img]smile.gif[/img]

But good, as Vaskez said, because in Australia you don't have to pay anything for a PhD, which includes all the courses, whereas if I'd done a masters or professional doctorate I would have had to pay like $20,000 over the two or three years for the coursework. And there are scholarships for PhDs! I'm thinking of starting an investment portfolio LOL