View Single Post
Old 03-26-2003, 05:51 PM   #47
Rokenn
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Thorfinn:
Is the reverse also true? When you turn in your two week's notice, can the employer force you to stay on? Or does wrongful termination only work one way?
The law protects employees from wrongful termination due the to power imbalance between the worker and the company. Giving notice for an impending job change is generally considered a good courtesy, but is not required under law in the US.

Just a side note on some of the personal issues brought up in the thread (Cerek's wife's situation in particular). A good union stops companies from pulling stunts like firing someone when they give notice to avoid paying accumalted vacation time. It also would have help the security guard in this case, as he would have a way to apeal the unjust firing without going to court. I know many on this forum hate unions, but they do still help balance the workers rights vs the company's power.