View Single Post
Old 07-14-2003, 12:23 PM   #30
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Memsie, this happens a lot with my wife. And, being a latin woman, she prides herself on the number of men who show interest. Culture thing.

It doesn't bother me UNLESS THEY KNOW WE'RE AN ITEM. Any idiot can see those big honkin' diamonds I paid through the nose for -- well, maybe they're not THAT big, but still. That's when the male behavior treads into disrespectful territory. Hitting on my wife when you don't know the situation is one thing, but with me right there you are either being stupid or rude. Neither is acceptable by my standards.

I let her handle it most always. If it's an encounter when I'm across the room, at the loo, etc, I introduce myself to the guy (or she introduces me), who usually doesn't hang around too long afterwards.

The guys who do it with me there, I usually just say, "And you are?" or "Who are you?" as an "icebreaker." In other words, if they're going to challenge me in that way, I stand up to and intervene -- on my behalf more than hers (again -- she can take care of herself). Then we usually square off, each piss on a tree to mark our territory, and then lock horns. I'm only half-joking -- because at those times it really is akin to ritualistic mating challenges on Wild Kingdom.

[ 07-14-2003, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]