View Single Post
Old 01-10-2001, 11:37 AM   #4
Magness
Quintesson

Just a few thoughts...

This is a VERY subjective topic. The first thing to know is what is your prefered fighting style for your player character: melee, ranged, magical.

As has been stated often on this board ...
Kensai's are shock fighters. They are great at dealing out a LOT of damage in a short period of time, but since they cannot wear armor, they tend to take serious damage when the battles take too long.

Yes, theives don't make great fighters ... except for Swashbucklers. SB's are actually pretty darned good fighters. I've played a SB all the way thru with considerable success. Sure they cannot backstab. But SB's are really good fighters and have full thieving skills.

Many people like pure fighters since they can achieve Grandmaster status (i.e. 5 points) in their weapons skills. However, I happen to like the Paladin kits, since the give the character some very useful immunities and abilities.

For example, I am currently playing an Inquisitor. The inquisitor's special abilities (super powerful/fast Dispel Magic, True Sight, Immune to Hold and Charm) are seriously useful in BG2. The Undead Hunter's immunity to level drain is also SERIOUSLY useful as well.

IMO, the best class is not only about what damage can you deal out, but it also what non-damaging things can you do and what things CAN'T be done TO you (i.e. immunities) by the enemy. It's always a real hoot to see that grandmaster fighter being held while my inquistitor is immune and still hacking away or more likely having to cast Dispel Magic to free his ass from the hold spell.