Thread: Dual wielding
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2010, 01:22 AM   #5
Olorin

Breakout Champion Hexxagon Champion
Default Re: Dual wielding

I've got a dagger/dagger Rogue going, and am amazed at how quickly enemies are cut down. I opted for a cunning build--with Lethality, Cunning replaces dex to determine damage. High cunning also means I need fewer levels of Persuade and Lockpick.

With Assassin skill Exploit Weakness, you get additional damage for Cunning score.

I'll go with Bard for 2nd spec, since the song bonuses are also Cunning based. Song of Courage for attack, damage, and crit bonus will help with the hit rate (which suffers from lack of dex--I have Wynne cast Heroic Offense in the meantime).

Goal is to pump Cunning as high as possible, and have Song of Courage and Momentum always on. Coup de Grace eliminates the need to maneuver for backstabs when a mage incapacitates enemies. Otherwise, I maneuver to backstab the enemies the tank is keeping occupied.

The big disadvantage of the Cunning build is lower defense. I really don't want to draw too much attention with my rogue. Fortunately, it's easy enough to keep melee enemies focused on the tank by simply putting him in front (first spotted), massive armor, Threaten, and the occasional Taunt. I don't normally send the Rogue out to take on ranged enemies or mages 1 on 1. For one, my defense is low, plus I can't backstab if they are focussed on me. I rely on mages to disable enemy mages and archers until the melee mobs are down. Now, if a mage lets off a PE or Mass Par. and catches the ranged mobs, my Rogue will happily go chop them up before they recover

A few things that help make a dual dagger build (dex or cunning) more effective. Faster attacks with daggers than heavier weapons, especially compared to warriors who don't have Momentum. Rune effects. A pair of +4 flame runes add 8 damage to each attack, whether they are in a dagger or a longsword. But the dagger gets to strike more often, so a dagger gains more DPS for the same runes than a sword.
"Many are my names in many countries. Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkun to the Dwarves; Olorin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incanus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not"

--The Two Towers
Olorin is offline   Reply With Quote