View Single Post
Old 09-19-2002, 10:34 AM   #8
Thoran
Galvatron

Well I'm not sure I followed everything... but if he set up the new hdd as the C: drive then all you need to do is swap the Master/Slave jumpers for each drive to the other position (new drive becomes slave, old drive becomes master) and assuming he didn't actually screw up your xp home install you'll be ok.

More likely he just installed XP Pro to the new drive which he likely set up as the slave and Windows is showing the boot menu to allow you to select which os you want to run. In this case to fix the problem just edit boot.ini and delete the lines that end with "Microsoft Windows XP Professional". If he has it set to boot XPPRO on startup you'll also need to change the "default=" line just after the "timeout=30" line. Fix this by replacing all the stuff AFTER the "=" on the default line with all the stuff BEFORE the equals on the line under "[operating systems]" that has your os listed "Microsoft Windows XP Home". Once you do this your old os will boot automatically, and you can delete XPPro at your leisure. There's another way to edit boot.ini if manual editing scares you... but since I've always done it this way I can't remember how (I think it's in the Control Panel|System applet somewhere).

Finally, it's possible he somehow screwed up the boot sequence for XP Home... before reinstalling you should try repairing your current install by popping in your XP Home cd and following the instructions for repairing the installation.

But first things first... get your computer back... sounds like he's not experineced enough to do what he's doing and he'll likely continue to make things worse until he's totally buggered it up.