View Single Post
Old 09-19-2002, 08:31 AM   #5
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Thanks Wolfie...it sounds like he's pretty much FUBARed it up. So is this what I do (keeping in mind that I can't boot from the c: drive apparently where all my data is):

1. boot up the drive I want to use as primary (the 80GB one since it's the only one which will boot up apparently) and reformat it - sounds easy in PRINCIPLE...

2. do a clean install of Windows XP on it (how will I do this if I can't boot up??)

3. copy my data across from the 20GB to the 80GB one (do I need to do anything with registry changes, etc - also all my shortcuts will be wrong - will my Start menu work at all???)

4. when all the data is copied, do the same format for the 20GB one and blank it out

I really, REALLY wish that I'd done this myself... [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img]
Personally I would fix the ide chain first, so that you know that however you do it, everything will be in order. Then boot from the CD-rom and start it up then clean everything out and do a fresh reinstall. If you have items still on the 20 GB, donīt plug it in and then plug it in and restart. The other drive will now be available and since you didnīt start from that one, you can after copying the material you want used right click on it and choose format drive.

Donīt eat the yellow snow