View Single Post
Old 10-01-2005, 10:14 PM   #5
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I've got Red Hat on my Linux server here, and it's really a piece of cake. Just put in the CDs, installed, and away we went.

I do have a bit of Unix and networking background, so I was a couple of steps ahead of you in that regard.

Now... how are you trying to see other machines? I can think of two ways: by name, or by IP address.

If you access by name, you need to know where the other machine is. This is done in the hosts file, which is located in /etc on your Linux box and %windows%/system32/drivers/etc on your late-model Windows box. It's elsewhere in Win98... and on your Windows box, make sure the other machine is not the last line in the file. Sometimes Windows fails to recognize the last entry in the file.

The entry in hosts contains the name and the IP address it corresponds to. And I just realized this is going to get a *lot* more complicated, so rather than try to explain everything I know about networking, Linux, and Windows just so I can be corrected, let's narrow the focus and get back to this:

How are you trying to see the other machines, and what exactly is happening when you try to access them?
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote