Thread: The "War" model
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2001, 09:48 AM   #162
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Liliara:
By the way, how do you think that you recieved the right to express what you feel? Wars were fought, brave men and innocent people died. I'm not saying I want the innocent to die. Our government that you seem to have such a distaste for, (although some may be bastards) don't want to see innocents die. But if you are wondering what violence gets, well, in some cases it gets freedom. Whether you want to admit it or not, our freedom has been challenged. If you don't agree, how would you like every phone call that you make recorded? It may well happen if we allow this to go on without violence. We have tried all we can (The U.S, offered Afghanistan aid for their coutry today if they would only hand over bin Laden) and it has failed. All you have today can be attributed to 'violence'. Sorry to break it to ya.
So are you saying that those who died to GIVE him and many others the right to NOT fight or to believe as he does and honor his beliefs by following them with action/nonaction, didn't really want us to have those particular beliefs or rights? That because violence was necessary to earn the rights, only aggressive belief systems are now an option?!

I am for action against the terrorists, myself. I want desperately to see that no innocent blood is shed, and I know it may happen. But I will say this, I defend to the utmost, the rights of those I disagree with to say what they think and to feel the way they feel! Some of my own family has shed blood for this nation, and I'm damn proud of what they've done. But if someone tells me he or she IS a pacifist and cannot fight or advocate violence on moral grounds based on their beliefs, I respect that. The freedom that those wars have won us it just that, the freedom to follow our consciences. Most such people that I know are fully aware of how this nation was born and how it is defended. They simply can't advocate such things in their personal lives.

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
CloudDragon of the OHF
Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."