View Single Post
Old 09-23-2003, 10:32 AM   #35
Link
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
SOMETHING must be the source... the rest is detail...it takes a lot more faith to believe in randomness than a thought-out planned creation, after all look how well the world functions - simple nuclei of protons and neutrons with electrons whizzing round have become humans who can think, feel and learn. The Bible is one source that backs up this theory of one being creating everything. If you believe the first step, the next steps follow. Just my thoughts.
Wooow! Let's kick back here for a while. You say something must be the source, and because you believe in both God and the evolution theory, I conclude that you are talking about God here. But why should someone or something that was the source be a God; an omnipotent something that we probably can't even comprehend? The idea of 'something that is the source' suits me just fine, but I do not like that idea of religious believers that there is someone out there who knows all etc. and that we must pay heed to that mysterious person.

God to me is something/someone that our human mind made up to comprehend the things that weren't comprehendable. Bear in mind that modern day man knows much much more in terms of science, chemistry, weather, astronomy and so on than mankind in the time of Jesus Christ. We know now why and how thunder is caused, how the elemenents work, and what happens when we combine chemical elements.
The human mind wants a solution, or at least something reachable or understandable, to everything, and if we do not know something we either find the answer to it, or we make up that answer to fill the gaps in our conscience. A simple example is the idea of extraterrestrial life. We don't know about it, and we try to find an answer to it, but since there is no evidence for any conclusion at all, all kinds of theories emerge around the world about aliens. The idea of being alone in the universe is for many people scary; we are a single ant in a giant room where nobody else is. That thought is disturbing to many people so they cannot think otherwise than that there is extraterrestrial life.

I may be offending a lot of people here, but this is just my idea of how people think about God. I believe wholehearedly in evolution, because I cannot begin to comprehend (or understand) something not physical and spiritual such as (a) God.
To me people who dismiss evolution as something from a fairytale, and do not have any arguments for that are just being ignorant (may sound harsh, but I can't find the correct words). Earth has been here for a great deal of billions of years! Life has been here for a couple of million years, and intelligent life (as if life at itself is not intelligent enough) has been some thousand years. The first organisms were nothing more than single celled beings that had enormously simple 'bodies'. Now, we are complex creatures with cells that have different functions, all because of evolution.

As much as I want to believe in a God (I have incredible admiration for those who do and can) I for one don't believe in Him. The human mind, and the thoughts that originate from it are the direct consequences for such a belief IMHO.

Goal: Beijing 2008