View Single Post
Old 01-22-2003, 10:47 AM   #122
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Hehe, everyone's got single reasons for being an atheist. Ok but they are all defeated by one pro argument or another. If you look at all the pro arguments together, they seem very convincing to me [img]smile.gif[/img] In the end neither side wins ever but there are far more reasons to believe than not to. This thread has been a good learning experience, cheers everyone [img]smile.gif[/img]

Attempt at summary:

Reasons not to believe in a god:
- You have thought about it and no arguments convince you, you accept the possibility though.
- You are too arrogant to admit that anything can be greater than you.
- You are happy as you are and don't need anything more and don't care where we came from. This seems a bit naive to me.
- You believe that the universe has always existed so there is no reason for a creator and in an infinite universe everything happens so life just happpened. This is probably the most convincing atheist argument and this is where faith and personal feeling come into and no amount of arguing can convey that so when you get to this stage you stop debating [img]smile.gif[/img] Personally, I still can't accept that everything became so perfect (I mean the working of nature) by chance. Then I take all the other indications/arguments etc into account. The case for just defeats the case against in my case.
- You don't want there to be a God so you shut out such thoughts.

or any combination of the above

Reasons to believe in a god:
- Arguments mentioned here
- personal logic to convince yourself
- faith based on no evidence or argument just feeling
- gambler's explanation given in the first post
- many millions of people have thought about and feel and know they believe including many genuises like Einstein. Just makes you think whether they may have a point

or any combination of the above
- of course none of these are enough in themselves, except maybe the faith one and many people have argued against one or the other of these but taken all together I think there is a strong case for a god's existance

Also Magick I think like that too [img]smile.gif[/img] God helps those who help themselves. So true, you can't sit around expecting things to happen, you do it and ask for help/a nudge if you need it [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 01-22-2003, 10:51 AM: Message edited by: Vaskez ]
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray