View Single Post
Old 06-17-2002, 04:29 PM   #37
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
Come on Yorick, you know that religion has easily been the basis for as many wars and the killings of people as politics over the long history of man. You also have to say, if you begrudge SETI and Other scientific endevors the dollars spent, you would also have to include all the billions collected by televangelists and other organized religions, and lets include money spent on comic books, computers, sporting equipment and on and on. You could argue that any money spent on anything but feeding the hungry and clothing the poor was a colosal iresponsible waste of time and money.

If you look at things in a certain way, all life is a waste of time and we should all just die so we can be with the creator now, rather than waste all this energy and time. I just don't understand the point of view you have on this subject....ahh well it isnt the first time [img]smile.gif[/img]

Oh and an incredibly bad move and mean too to put those other leaders in the same catagory as Stalin and Hitler. If you really see no difference there there is a large discussion in and of itself.
I certainly don't see religion as a cause for conflict MagiK. I've already stated why and what are the counter causes. You will not convince me otherwise.

As far as putting the leaders in together, these are leaders viewed as initiators of war for various reasons. I'm not commenting on the justification of the said wars, but on the wars themselves. One could actually argue Hussein had a case against Kuwait, who were strangling Iraq on the oil market (an economic war).

One has to wonder why Britain created Kuwait at all, instead of merging it with the newly created Iraq. Oh yes, it was because huge amounts of oil existed there right?

Churches as opposed to SETI, give back to the community. They provide various free services such as counselling, motivational lectures, marriage guidance, career guidance for kids, musical education, literary dissection training, clothing and food for the homeless, and a sense of community to the kinless, that are reliant on DONATIONS to be perpetuated.

If someone gives to a tele-eveangelist, they do so out of their own free will, not legal taxation, or imposed and perpetuated addiction as in the case of tobbacco.

http://www.hughwilson.com