View Single Post
Old 06-17-2002, 02:51 PM   #31
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
quote:
Originally posted by John D Harris:
Yorik a little off topic here: The USA health system is not in chaos, it's the finest in the world. Most of the medical advances in modern medicine have been made in the USA. It's paying to get health care that is the hard part, not the health care itself. But then nothing in life is free that comes from man.
Well paying for it is what I'm talking about. The finest in the world? Health coverage is ridiculously expensive in the USA. Far more than in any other nation. Families can either go practically broke with the premiums, or broke from uninsured medical expenses. It's frightening.

Doctors get paid more than in any other nation, but have their own insurance premiums that are through the roof.

Why? The culture of litigation prevalent in the United "it's always somebody elses fault" States.

I've been told that less individuals are taking up medicine, and that if not addressed, a doctor shortage will exist in the near future.

As far as medical advances, Australia is also a leader John. Yet we have universally subsidised health care.

It amazes me that there are people here who oppose the rich subsidising the poors health care at all, let alone an increase in line with other western nations.
[/QUOTE]I fully agree with the litigation problem. I've seen more stupid things come from fear of litigation than I care to. Removing "dangerous" things from playgrounds. Dropping speed limits on county roads because they might get sued if someone is in an accident. Litigation for medical problems caused by accidents is quite lucrative. I myself was sued for an accident almost seven years after it happened for an elusive back problem. The only reason I was sued was because I had insurance and they found a litigation lawyer. It was settled out of court for a large sum ($50,000) by my insurance company.