View Single Post
Old 04-06-2005, 05:12 AM   #24
DinkumThinkum
Dungeon Master

One of the things I like in CRPGs is character development: lots of character class choices, interesting skills and spells to learn, etc.

And W&W does have plenty of that: one of the reasons I asked so many questions [img]smile.gif[/img] about skills, etc. in this thread is that I enjoy figuring out what skills I want for my characters, how to develop them, etc.

But I wish the game offered more chances to effectively use use the skills and spells in combat. Right now, I'm part way through the first crypt (in the Asylum area), and most of my battles consist of putting the mouse pointer in the middle of a mob of enemies and clicking the mouse button as fast as I can until the enemies are all dead.

So far, I've been playing on the average difficulty setting; when I go back to the game, I'll try turning it up to the higher setting to see if that makes combat more interesting.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Frankly, I'm surprised at the combat system in the game. I've played Wizardry 6 & 7, both done by DWB, so I know he's worked with detailed combat systems before (my experience with those games was a big part of my decision to try Wizards and Warriors). W&W has detailed character development, classes, etc. similar to what was in the Wizardry games, but the combat is nowhere on a par with the Wizardry games or most other party-based CRPGs I've played.

NOTE: I am enjoying the game! Some parts of it, especially the combat system, aren't near as good as what I was hoping for, but overall it is fun to play.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This game's been out for several years. I'm new to it, and I have no idea what the long-term posters and players have figured out already.

Anyway:

My impression, both from the combat system and the sometimes bizarre interactions with NPCs in town, is that at least some of the game's code was originally written for a single-character game, and then the party-based code was just slapped on later.

For example, that (to me) might explain why NPCs in town want to do their entire long-winded greeting from scratch every time I select a new party member while in their building.

Just the way the game feels to me; this was probably debated and settled years ago! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Morrowind modder resources:<br /><br />PotionSaver script for Companions and other NPCs<br /><br />Teleport disable/trap and banishment scripts<br /><br />Morrowind mod:<br /><br />Unarmored Corrector V01 (for players)<br /><br />All on [url]\"http://lovkullen.net/Emma/Resources.html\" target=\"_blank\">Emma\'s web site</a>.
DinkumThinkum is offline   Reply With Quote