View Single Post
Old 03-26-2001, 05:59 AM   #42
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by bilqis:
What is a "budgerigar"?

(I'm much too lazy to get out the encyclopedia or search the web to find out)

Moiraine covered this (yes, that is the right translation), but I can expand on it slightly.
A budgerigar (or budgie for short) is a small Australian parakeet. Naturally they have green chests and yellow wings with black stripes on them. They have black spots on their cheeks. They have been bred as pets to be a whole range of colours, most usually green/yellow or blue/white, but sometimes pied, yellow, white or violet. They are noisy, messy and smell musty, sort of like old books. They can also mimic, a few learn to talk, and most will copy whistling noises. They are quite intelligent and friendly and don't cost much to keep which is one reason why they are so popular.

And yes, I do think it's unkind to keep a bird in a cage - I sort of rescued him because he was in a pet shop by himself - he had been there for 6 months so was an adult, and no-one wanted him because everyone wants to buy a cute little baby bird (and also he was terrified of everyone). He's very old now and I think I may not have him for much longer

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas.