Thread: new kit contest
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2001, 03:04 PM   #2
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

In name, "Sorceror" is not a new class. But there was a "New Spell Caster Kit" in my mind for some time. I thinked a lot for its name. And I decided to describe it as "Sorceror" So forget about the "Sorceror" class in Baldur's Gate 2 and 3rd Edition and take a look to this class below.

Sorceror: Sorcerors cast spells with the magical energy within. Legends tell that they possess draconian blood. True or false, they have a potential power within which lets them cast spells without spellbook. They don't memorize spells, they don't use scrolls. They cast spells with their magic potential.

A Level 1 Sorceror starts with 10 spell points. He cast spells with these spell points. For example, a 1st level spell costs 10 spell points, a 3rd level spell costs 30 spell points. A 6th level Sorceror has 60 spell points, (if he doesn't have bonus spell points, High Intelligence gives you bonus spell points) so he/she can cast 1 fireball and 3 magic missile or 4 burning hands and 1 mirror image. They gain new spells as they advance levels.

A sorceror gains extra HP and SP when he advances level. He gains additional 10 + Int - 15 spell points.

The difference between The Sorcerors and Mages is their spell casting style and form. A 16th level Mage can cast five 1st, 2rd ,3rd ,4rd level spell; four 5th level spells; three 6th and 7th level spells and one 8th level spells. The total is 31 but a 16th level Sorceror doesn't have 310 spell points. A 16th level Sorceror with 17 Intelligence has 192 spell points. So there's a penalty for quantity of spells and an advantage for spell selection. You don't worry about "Oh Why I didn't memorized this spell!" Also you don't have a horrible spell quantity limitation like other Sorceror class; you don't gain only 1 new spell per level.

I'm still making some corrections with numbers like additional SP should be more or less, or A sorceror should gain more SP as he advanced a new level etc, feel free to share your ideas with me..

For example, I'm thinking about 2 alternatives for new spells per level.

- You gain 1 + (Int - 15) new spell. So If your intelligence is 18 you got 4 new spells as you advance a level.
- You gain all spells like clerics but you have to choose 2 opposite schools which are opposite between them. (Like Illusion and Necromancy)

Racial Requirements

Only Humans, Half-Elves and Elves can become Sorcerors.

Ability Requirements

CON 13
INT 15
CHA 15

Weapon Proficiencies

They can be proficient with dagger, club, schimitar, spear, sling, staff and dart. A Sorceror who wields an item which has "Dragon Slayer" ability takes 2 hp damage and as a reflex; drops the item instantly.

Class Features

They gain an extra +1 to their saving throws for Breath Weapon per 3 levels.

They gain %1 resistance against fire,acid and posion.

hhma