Thread: Assassination
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2001, 04:36 PM   #29
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown:
I understand your points, SC. A real international police force, enforcing agreed upon international laws regarding human rights and the like, might give more of an appearance of justice than does action by a powerful individual state like the US.

However, what you are talking is of course a step towards real world government.

There is a lot of resistance to such notions from people afraid of giving up local autonomy to a far away world body -- and with good reason.

Yes, indeed, with good reason. I should perhaps make it clear here that I am not at all in favour of giving up local rights to centralised bodies - as we seem to be doing right left and centre, especially with regard to trade, not to mention regulations of all sorts. I do not believe centralised bodies understand local needs, and that this kind of governance is too crude to work in the long term.

However, when it comes to dictators and tyrants enslaving and impoverishing millions, then we need to look at some kind of world body, I do believe. Very difficult in practice, but that's no reason not to attempt it!

------------------