View Single Post
Old 07-02-2004, 09:49 AM   #6
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Boy, oh, boy... talk about a no-win situation

Well, first things first. You have to have your wife's support on whatever happens. If you don't have it, you're toast.

Second, it's your house. Your house, your rules. Years ago, my dad made it clear to me that if I came back to live at his house after I moved out, I would still have to follow his rules. I responded that the same was true if he was in my house. He acknowledged that (although taken a bit back, perhaps), and agreed that it was proper. We've never had a problem since then (and I think we both secretly vowed never to let it happen).

Your MIL needs to recognize that it is your house and your rules. If she cannot or will not abide by them, then perhaps it's best that she live somewhere else for the last week. A hotel, a trailer park, a cardboard box under the bridge... living in your house comes with rules instead of rent (unless she's paying rent, that is).

About the groceries... if she wants to buy her own, and make her own meals, let her. You buy for and handle your family, and she can do what she needs. My in-laws routinely buy some of their own groceries when they're here, and my wife and I roll our eyes and move on. We fix what we're preparing for meals, and if they don't like it, they can take care of themselves. And they do, just like real grown-ups [img]smile.gif[/img]

About the laundry and cleaning... hey, more power to her. She's not a full-fledged guest, so if she wants to contribute around the house, let her. No sense in feeling guilty about that. Now, if she uses that to put you down, then refer to point #1 -- your house, your rules. I'm sure there's a rule in your house about being polite to people.

About reorganizing your stuff... kindly tell her that it's not appreciated. You've got your things where they are for a reason, however strange it may be. You'd like it left there.

About her enforcement of your rules... she's got to realize that the kids are your responsibility long after she's headed down to Argentina. Grandparents certainly do get to spoil their grandkids, but they don't get the right (or privilege) to thwart their parents' efforts to raise them. It may take you calling her out in the middle of a situation to remind her that your rules are "X", and she's not allowed to override them in your house. This is one of those spots where your wife's support is critical [img]smile.gif[/img]

You've got a decision to make. Do you make an issue of this stuff, set the ship on an even keel, and establish the rules for how your in-laws will live in your house? Or do you bite your tongue, knowing that there's only a week left (this time ) and get things back to normal after they're gone?

Unfortunately, there are no right or wrong answers, only tradeoffs. But ultimately, you are responsible for your own family and their care and feeding (so to speak), and not for your in-laws. They are responsible for themselves, and if they do not like what you are eating, drinking, or doing, they should be welcome to go eat, drink, and do what they would like. It just may not be in the same place.

And if I haven't said it enough, you and your wife need to be on the same page with whatever you do or decide.

Good luck. I feel for you.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.