View Single Post
Old 11-13-2000, 02:31 PM   #4
alzagor

RE: auto-mapping.

Originally, Dave didn't want an automap at all. He wanted it to be the old pen n'paper technique. But, that obviously wouldn't have worked without a standard movement distance.

If I remember right, all Daggerfall did was load up a special viewer for the BSP/Level (which allowed you to zoom in and out all over). But what I don't recall is if it hide areas you hadn't discovered yet or not.

Having automaps only came into existance halfway through the game. So, a bitter man would say "Be lucky you have what you have!" If more thought was put into them, and more time was allotment for the feature, something more intuitive would have come about.

If you haven't realized it yet, Wizards had a sporadic development cycle (to put it nicely). I don't think Dave realized how much the general populous had grown over the past decade (and how rabid people can get on internet).

RE: Poll

I like it!
I did something simliar for Nox (people might not realize it, but HPI did *ALOT* of the graphics for Nox, but Westwood decided to only give out an "Addition Art by: HPI" instead of giving credit where credit was due to the individuals) [on a side note, Nox was far more dynamic in those early days before Westwood bought the rights to it... wish the original concept hit the shelves!]

RE: general bugs
Towards the end of the project cycle, I believe Dave was the only one earnestly working on the game, so one possible reason you see faults in the game is b/c you only had one guy playing it, in a certain style, and Activision beta testing was either too overwhelming or poorly executed or it became a simple lack of time (with Dave being the only programmer at HPI during that period, I'm more inclined to think the latter).

I haven't heard anything for the past week from HPI, so I'm not sure what's going on there! (Which isn't too odd, but I can only assume things I won't say based off my experiences working there.)

A Wizards & Warriors sequel would be phenomenal! Just think how the game would operate when rebuilt from the ground up!