View Single Post
Old 02-18-2003, 11:12 AM   #32
Epona
Zartan

Bungleau, interesting post thank you.

I suppose in England there are quite liberal attitudes towards sex, which makes a difference.

One thing I find odd about your post is the thought that teenage boys are a bundle of hormones, and girls are not. Because let me assure you we were Also the idea that girls need protecting from sex where as boys of the same age do not - yet girls are generally more mature than boys of a similar age. I suppose it's that I find odd (and slightly patronising, no offense) - that boys are able to make up their own minds about what they want to do, and girls need protecting so they must not be allowed to make up their own minds, because they may make the 'wrong' decision.

It's the same thinking that leads to derogatory opinions, which are still widespread, of women who enjoy sex and have had several partners - 'oh she's easy', 'bury her in a Y shape coffin' or 'what a slag, cheap tart, she'll go with anybody' - that kind of thing, whereas if a bloke does the same it's seen as normal and no-one raises an eyebrow. Surely it's time to move on from the outdated notion that girls/women are somehow dirty or immoral if they experiment or enjoy sex - the days of girls staying virgins until they pass from their father's control to that of a carefully selected husband are long gone.

Just to be clear that I'm talking about girls and boys over the age of consent, which in the UK is 16.

Sorry if I've derailed this thread somewhat, this is an issue that's always annoyed me!