View Single Post
Old 03-04-2006, 09:24 AM   #2
Legolas
Jack Burton

Ydalon

While digging the firepit, the boy looked back towards the river, inspecting each of the five men.
Tallest was Telryn, agreeable despite his intimidating appearance. The huge flail he carried like a toy club reinforced the danger potential of the scarred warrior.
Nearby stood his companion Detheriel, lithely built and in this thirties. He was an archer, but dwarfed his bow. A good-hearted man who was easily humoured, and seemed completely at ease in this environment.
Nivram was the strange one in the group. He seemed to have no compelling motivations, staying around only because he hadn't decided to wander off yet. He pursued his apparent goal, the finding of his sister, without haste or reasoned direction. A man with faith in fortune perhaps. But he was perceptive and quick of understanding if he had to be, and he was assertive in his ways. Where did his current mirth and playfulness fit in?
Then there was Zakaria. Though he was the smaller of the four, he still towered over Isokla, and especially himself. Zak was a dangerous man, combining sword and magic in a fight. He was keen to kill, and barked even more than he'd bite. His 'quick to anger' nature was already near legendary in the group, and none trusted or liked him much, with one exception.
Keal, only a year or four Ydalon's elder, had complete faith in Zak's good intentions. What special knowledge had brought him to that conclusion, the boy couldn't guess. This fifth member was a more recent, chance addition, and while he was silent and unproven, his strength was plainly evident in his trained appearance.

They were trying to catch fish by the ford, hoping for a fresh supper. Ydalon watched them, and was pleased. Four able warriors of differing ability and skill would go a long way towards improving the situation here, and the wildcard just might come through for them in a tight spot, if for no reason beyond his growing bond with Isokla.

She'd asked him after his plans in Telryr, and the difficulties in his relationship with his father, whom he'd told her to be boroughmaster there.

"There'll be an astronomer there to examine the chart," he told her, now keeping his voice low. "With luck she can help us understand, or we can use the tower to observe for ourselves.
"All the rest, supplies, safety, shelter... That's less important. I wouldn't track this map down if I didn't think it'd be one of few tickets out of some nearing trouble."

He shook his head, then fished his tin locket up from underneath his yellowed shirt. It received a brief polish before disappearing once again.

"As to the family quarrel, he's a busy man. But sometimes he finds a moment to curse me. He never had a say though, I choose my own company."

He said nothing for a moment, frowned briefly, and added flatly: "She'd still be here if he'd acted with more thought."
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote