View Single Post
Old 12-25-2004, 10:52 AM   #1
Winter Wolf
Manshoon

Well today is Christmas, and having grown up with it one way then having to deal with the crap I did today, well let's just say I needed hip waders to handle it. Keeping in mind I grew up looking forward to Christmas because it was the one time of year my whole family got together (and the fact that once I was old enough to drink in front of my parents), I was rather looking forward to a good Christmas with my wife.

But... on this, my second Christmas in China, we were invited to go out with the district (governmental) manager of Nanhui district. Harmless enough, if a bit irritating for me (as it's not family). Ends up we are sitting in a freezing ass office and listening to some slick snake oil salesman talking about a pyramid scheme. But it gets better! Just about everything he's talking about is either quasi-legal or completely illegal in mainland China. Well after sitting there for a few minutes too long (and really, isn't even one minute too long when you're dealing with these people?) we get out of there after the appropriate pause for "giving face" (it's an Asian thing, and if it happened in the states I'd just walk out after loudly advising the manager to leave before he gets reamed by the conman) to the district manager.

Really the saddest thing was watching a guy that I actually kind of respect and like being totally used like an unsuspecting tool. We had not the opportunity to advise him to have NOTHING to do with that or any similar scheme, but he really deserves better than that. If it were just a matter of parting a fool from his money I'd not care so much, but there's a strong possiblity he'll get tossed in prison if he sticks with it and things ever get investigated.

Maybe the story was a bit long, but it just gets to me that not only did I not get a family only Christmas as was meant to be, but that I had to sit through this **** and watch an otherwise decent guy getting played for a fool. Next year I'm definitely helping my wife get a visa to the US so we can spend a proper Christmas with family. (Then back here for Chinese New Year, which is like a week long Christmas.)

Thank you IW for allowing me my rant. I feel better now.