Thread: Gameplay
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2002, 01:23 PM   #1
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

I am curious as to how people usually play IWD:HoW. I have a party of six on Heart of Fury mode now, and I noticed something. Everytime I engage in a battle, the spells( from my party) start flying non-stop.

I have the following in my party,

Paladin( the leader, also known as the guy that stands in front, alone)
Fighter/Thief( usually does not enter a fight unless the opponent is held)
Fighter/Druid( master of the shocking)
Ranger/Cleric( party booster)
Necromancer( pure offensive spellcasting)
Bard( the singer)

For big battles, I usually turn off the AI. The Paladin is kinda cheesy because his innate Protection from Evil( PfE) stacks with the Clerical version for a grand total of +4 AC bonus. His innate PfE also lasts for hours( like Stoneskin), so everytime I rest the party, I make him recast it. It is as though the Paladin has a permanent +2 AC bonus.

Sadly for the Paladin though, I use him for no other purpose than to be a punching bag for the enemy. Each time I encounter hostile forces, I make the Paladin cast PfE( Clerical version) and throw him into the fray, left to fend for himself while I concentrate on the spellcasting.

The Fighter/Thief is usually ignored by me. Maybe I should make him use Bows... since I loathe to put him in melee combat with the enemy. On rare occasions, I use him to poke enemies that are held in order to hasten their demise.

The Fighter/Druid is one of my favourite spellcasters in this game. I just basically use him to cast 4 Static Charges( and 4 Call Lightnings if I am outdoors), then spam all manner of offensive spells and summons into the heat of combat. If in the event that he runs out spells, I cast a few personal boosters on himself and send him to join the Paladin as a punching bag.

The Ranger/Cleric is my party's 'witchdoctor'. Bless, Curse( on the enemy), Prayer, Protection from Evil 10', etc... all enhances the statistics of my party members, while lowering the enemies'. He can also summon stuff and join the Fighter/Druid in being a shocking member of the party, but his main purpose is to be the party booster.

The Necromancer is my selective offensive spellcaster. He picks out the weak points in the enemy's ranks and exploits them mercilessly. As most of the offensive spells in IWD:HoW are not party-friendly, I have to be careful in what I cast, and where I cast. Singular targets that are not near the other party members( like the Paladin) are prime targets, and ripe for the weeding.

I usually go for spells that strikes one target only, as these are the 'safest' spells. I do have some area-of-effect spells though, and I use them carefully.

Lastly, I have my Bard, another non-combatant most of the time. She usually just sings in all my battles, and only pause to cast a spell now and then before hastily resuming her singing( done properly, you will not interrupt the singing effects). I only resort to her combat abilities either if the battle is extremely tough and I need the additional magic muscle, or if I need her to save some other party member.

How do you usually fight?

Land of the Psycho-moe
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote