View Single Post
Old 01-09-2005, 10:36 PM   #6
Thoran
Galvatron

Shutzund isn't as much about bonding as control, if you want a good bond with your dog you'd be better served with intensive positive training methods.

Admittedly I'm a bit biased, I'm not a big fan of training animals to attack people, I think if you're looking for protection you should get a gun... it's a LOT less dangerous when improperly trained. [img]smile.gif[/img] Most dogs, especially the classical protection breeds (shepards, rotties, dobies) will exhibit many of the traits most people need in an protection dog (Bark at strangers, protective towards owners and property, intimidating to others) without requireing training that if improperly executed will turn the animal into a time bomb. By the same token I know Schutzen is arguably the best way to go about it if you're intent on doing it... just be sure to check your trainers references (ANYONE can get a certificate).

Also you should be aware of the legal implecations of Shutzen training... which in many places makes you criminally liable if your dog attacks someone (even if that someone is a pothead [img]smile.gif[/img] ).

I think for what you're trying to do either breed will work well, go see dogs of both breeds and decide that way.