View Single Post
Old 12-21-2004, 07:56 AM   #2
Lady Sedai
Banned User

Well, I have a dog and six cats and my mom has a dog and three cats, so I know they can get along, LOL.

My suggestion...a golden retriever mix and a tabby cat. Both have very loving personalities (my tiger cat is loving on me as I type this ) and are good with people, children and other animals.

Check the rescues as well as call 'round your local vets.

I know *my* vet has a plethora of "free cat/dog to good home" posters and this way, even if you aren't getting a kitten/puppy, you can get a pet already housebroken and spayed/neutered with shots.

[img]smile.gif[/img]

OH! And if you are getting a puppy/kitten combo, make sure you do the "dominance test". You gently try to roll the animal onto its back and hold it there a couple of minutes. If it *won't* let you put it on its back, it may be too aggressive/dominant and might not get along as well as a more submissive pet.

Also, personally, I'd suggest a female dog and a male cat. I've just found the temperments of female dogs are preferable (and they don't have to pee on every blade of grass and hike their legs to your favorite bushes in the yard ) and that male cats are "calmer" once fixed than females. They are a bit more laid back. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 12-21-2004, 08:02 AM: Message edited by: Lady Sedai ]