View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 08:00 PM   #16
Epona
Zartan

Default Re: Archer dps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakero View Post
Cool thanks!

Your build is a bit different than what I read from gamefaqs guide.
Str - 20
Dex - High
Willpower - 20
Cunning - Moderate

Thus on every level up I've been putting 2dex/1cun.
Yeah there's been a lot of discussion about rogue Dex vs Cunning builds, on previous playthroughs I went the dex route but this time I just took dex up to 35 and dumped everything else in cunning - and it was a whole lot better. I did the same for my own character who was a dual-wield rogue and the cunning build worked better for her too. As long as you take the Lethality talent for rogues just get dex to wherever you need it (for talents and equipping daggers/bows) and then max out cunning.

I also used Alistair this time as a dex based tank (reel them in then avoid being hit, rather than reel them in and be able to withstand large amounts of damage) on this playthrough, and he died a lot less frequently than on previous games when I've specced him out as a more traditional constitution based meat shield. I didn't take his constitution above 18, he was more vulnerable early game, but mid to late game, nothing could hit him to cause any damage.

It's taken me a while to get used to this as opposed to the old BG/NWN style builds, but I've come to the conclusion that you want cunning based rogues, dex based tanks, and strength based dps warriors. And for mages, just chug everything into magic, you only need willpower of 20 (or 25 at the very most to keep some in reserve for healing spells) if your first couple of spells dish out enough damage due to extremely high spellpower, just have a few lyrium potions on hand if you need to follow through with another high powered spell.

It's been a steep learning curve but I think I'm finally getting to grips with it!

Edit to add: I use the Advanced Party mod, which means when you get companions they don't have attribute/skill/talent points spent, you get to build them however you wish - it's great and I highly recommend it.

Last edited by Epona; 03-11-2010 at 08:03 PM.
Epona is offline   Reply With Quote