View Single Post
Old 05-15-2002, 04:03 PM   #108
Moiraine
Anubis

Quote:
Originally posted by Dramnek_Ulk:
2+2 cannot ever be anything but 4 since it is a Contingent truth, you cannot have 2+2 equalling anything other than 4, it just cannot happen. It is part of the very basis of 2+2 that they equal 4, since it is a contingent truth.
No, Dramnek, not true. That is, IF you assume that we are counting in base 10 (that is, 1st figure on the left is the number of unities, 2nd figure is the number of (base), 3rd figure is the number of (base square), ...), it is true. BUT if you make it in base 3, then you get 2+2=11, that is 1 x 1 + 1 x 3. See, both the (2+2=4) and the (2+2=11) statements are true ! [img]smile.gif[/img]

My point is, Dramnek, and it applies to everything you've said so far in this thread, when you say something is true no discussion allowed, in fact it is not, because you always base what you say on unsaid assumptions. You see things from only one angle. When you'll admit that the same thing can be viewed from many angles, some of them one may not grasp because of his/her own frame of mind but nonetheless very clear for other people, you'll have made a great step towards wisdom. Keep in mind Socrate's greatest lesson of wisdom : "I know that I know nothing" ... [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 05-15-2002, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: Moiraine ]