View Single Post
Old 11-13-2001, 12:44 PM   #22
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Silk - Welcome to the Forum.

I'm a relative newcomer myself. This place is great.

I'm playing through BGII for the first time also and it sounds as if we are close to the same level. I just defeated the mummies and vampires in Windspear last night. Here's what I did.

S P O I L E R
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
First, I left the entire party in the "connecting hallway" so they would be out of sight.

I equipped Yoshimo with the Daystar sword (found in secret room of the Crooked Crane in City Gates district - You have to fight a lich, but he is suprisingly easy to beat). The Sunray spelldoes 3D6 + 1D6/level of caster and Yoshimo is 16th level. He then used a Ring of Invisibility and entered the hallway that leads to the room full of mummies and vampires, lifting the Fog of War so I could see the doorway to the undead room.
Aerie carries the Staff of Air +2 (from the Astral Prison/Haer'Dalis Quest). I used it to summon a Lesser Air Elemental in front of the doorway (this turned out to be a VERY good idea).
Jaheira also summoned a Fire Elemental, but I didn't really need him.

I then cast Improved Invisibility on Aerie and had her go into the hallway next to Yoshimo. The mummies and vampires were wasting thier time on the 2 elementals. The beauty of this strategy is that the Lesser Air Elemental is so large, he completely blocked the doorway - preventing any undead from slipping past.

I then cast Holy Smite with Aerie (level 10) and Sunray with Yoshimo.
WOOOOWWWW! Most Impressive! There was just 1 vampire left standing when the 2 spells wore off. Since the door was still blocked, he just stood there helplessly as the rest of the party finished him off with arrows.

No Fuss - No Muss (and especially - NO LEVEL DRAIN!!!)

PS - I also found a good strategy for dealing with Samia and her group, if you are interested.

[ 11-13-2001: Message edited by: Cerek the Barbaric ]