View Single Post
Old 08-30-2006, 08:50 AM   #47
the Dark Neighbor
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
Welcome to the boards, the Dark Neighbor! [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] I hope you'll be back about the Gael Serran soon...

A couple of thoughts come to mind... and while you may have done these, you didn't say so specifically, so you can skip over any you've already done

First, any chance you can add more memory? 318 is pretty sparce, and sounds like you've got a 256 stick with a 64 stick. Swap that 64 for another 256, and you should be much happier in general

Second, what are your virtual memory settings? Basically, you'll want to set it to a fixed amount that's around 768MB. And when you've got that other stick of memory, set it to a gig. It has to be fixed, too... none of that "let Windows manage it for me" garbage.

Third... head over to www.trendmicro.com and have them do a full system scan for you. You have to do it in IE (last I recall), but even though you've checked for virii and malware, they can often find something more. I still do it...

Fourth... what version of DirectX? I had issues on XP when I moved up to 9.0C, and there's no good way to bust back to an earlier level.

Fifth.... what other programs do you have running when you play? There are a lot of things that run automatically that just cause grief... various helper programs and such. Use the task manager to eliminate anything you don't absolutely need. That means save Explorer, Systray, and your firewall or AV programs if you're always on-line. Maybe a couple of other things, but not much.

Give that a shot, and then post your results in another new thread. That way, everyone will see them and we'll get a shot at fixing it up for you.
Thank you, Bungleau! It's good to be here!

Sorry I haven't checked back sooner; life outside the Gael Serran can be just as tedious as "doing the Rumphy!"

Okay, here's what we've got:

First: Yes, that’s right.

[Scabban impersonation]: “Good! Let us add more memory, yes, yes, yes...”

However, If I could afford to, I’d just buy a new computer instead of spending any more money on my current dinosaur of a PC. [img]tongue.gif[/img] I’ll head over to CostCo, and see what they have in terms of memory sticks.

Second: Okay, I’ll try that. And that, too. Like I said, everything was working fine before, even without the 256 MB add-on. Prior to 2002, I only had the 64 MB stick the computer came with when I bought it in 1999, and then I added the 256 MB stick just so my computer could handle Heroes of Might and Magic IV.

I’ve already manually set my Virtual Memory to 300MB, as per Willow IX’s suggestion from the Nov. 2002 post, but I’ll bump it up to 768 MB, like you said.

Third: Can’t do it. I can’t run other virus checkers while McAfee is running, and I dare not surf online without my firewall enabled. I’ll make sure I run another update and check my system again. I’ll keep everyone posted on this.

Fourth: According to dxdiag, my current version is DirectX 9.0 (4.09.0000.0900). How do I check if I have 9.0C? I’m running Win98, not XP, so that shouldn’t matter, should it?

Fifth: Nada. I use CTRL + ALT + DEL to close everything except Explorer and Systray, as per Willow IX’s September 2002 post. I even unplug my internet connection and turn McAfee off, just in case. It eats up a ton of memory, and as you know, I don't have much to spare.

I’ll do the memory thing and buy more of it, just in case, then I'll post my results to a new thread. Thank you so much for your help, Bungleau!
the Dark Neighbor is offline   Reply With Quote