View Single Post
Old 11-01-2004, 05:25 PM   #123
Sigmar
Unicorn

Quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmar:

If you liked the original comics check out the new Dreamwave stuff, especially the trade paperbacks, good stuff!
Yeah, the Dreamwave comics are quite good I guess. The first G1 6-parter was actually quite awful (bought issues as they were released through Dutch stores, but the decompressed story telling really got on my nerves - and after 6 issues, we still had zero character development and only a storyline that could have fitted in only one issue, or at least that's the impression I got).
Things got slightly better with the second G1 6-parter, though they kinda lost me with all the Vector Sigma mumbo jumbo, which felt more like a deus ex machina than a really interesting plotline. The current ongoing G1-series is getting better and better, though; especially the fact that Furman only focuses on a few characters (Starscream, Sunstorm, Bumblebee, Jetfire, Jazz, Sunstreaker and Sideswipe) really does help to tighten the focus tremendously.
Didn't care all that much for the War Within and GI Joe vs TF stuff, but perhaps I'll give those a shot at a later time.
[/QUOTE]The first 6 parter, written by Chris Sarracini was toilet paper material, the characters-wafer thin and just a tour-de-force for Pat Lee and his art work. It's like Dreamwave drew the comic first, and decided to put in a story to the drawings as an afterthought.

Brad Mick actually wrote the second 6 parter (and the ongoing series), Furman's in charge of War Within and Armada/Energon. Personally I enjoyed the second 6 parter, even more so than a few of Furman's G1 stories! I've yet to read any of the ongoing series though, as I'm reading them in Trade paperbacks and not individual comics.

I really recommend War Within btw as it's the best Dreamwave stuff to date, and really Furman on form, in conjunction with the incredible pencilling of Don Figoroua and (Unicron end US comic) Andy Wildman, it's definately essential stuff. The G.I joe stuff on the other hand was the biggest let downI've ever had in terms of comics, the artwork was horrible and storyline even worse. Give Dreamwave's GI Joe crossover a definate miss.

Nice talking to someone outside TF boards about this stuff!
Sigmar is offline   Reply With Quote