Thread: mind flayers
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2003, 09:45 PM   #4
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

I've found that Skeleton Warriors actually are susceptible to INT drains, unfortunately, at least in my game. He's not talking about the Solaufein/Phaere encounter, he specifically said "the southern tunnels of the underdark."

Tip #1: Stealth/Invisibility. Oddly enough, this works great, even though Illithids are supposed to be able to detect the thoughts of any intelligent creature, so sneaking up on them should be impossible. But, you can still use a Thief or somebody to scout to your heart's content, in complete safety. (Note: If you've installed the Improved Mind Flayers MOD, everything I just said is no longer true.)

Tip #2: Death Spell is quite handy for taking out large groups of Umber Hulks, and it doesn't wake the Mind Flayers up, either.

Tip #3: Keep your vulnerable characters well away from the battle. If a character gets Stunned, any Mind Flayer who can see him/her will make a beeline toward his next free meal. Ouch. Avoid this situation by using only your best fighters: A Tank with good Saving Throws and a reasonably high INT (such as Keldorn) can spank those Mind Flayers like a red-headed stepchild, all by himself.

Tip #4: The city has doors--USE THEM!!! Do your fighting in the hallways, to minimize the Flayers' chances of scoring Critical Hits. Retreat if you go below 5 INT (or under 10, if you want to play it safe).