View Single Post
Old 11-21-2001, 10:56 PM   #16
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

AzRael,

The dragon doesn't necessarily see you - but he DOES hear and smell you. As he points out in his opening speech - he is a member of the oldest race on Faerun. He can knock you unconcious with a simple flap of his wings.

I don't care WHAT the AD&D Monster Manual said, YOU CANNOT SNEAK UP ON A DRAGON!!! But you don't necessarily have to. You are an assassin - you're bread and butter is dealing out serious damage, not sneaking around.

One tactic I haven't seen mentioned is setting traps. Firkraag will sit quietly and let you set as many traps as you are able without doing a thing to you. Then, as suggested earlier, back out of the way and hit him with POISONed Bolts of Lightning (or whatever you have)

You might also try finding Namarra (a +2 long sword - check out GameBanshee's site for location) - it can cast Silence 15' radius Once per Day.

DON'T waste it on Firkraag, though, because it probably won't beat his Magic Resistance. Instead, cast it on yourself - then stay within 15' of him. That should prevent his HEALing spell (and maybe help you sneak up on him a little better too).

PS The Silence, 15' rad is a wonderful idea on paper - but I haven't had much luck with it at all in BGI or BGII. Does anybody know why?