Thread: Kits
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2001, 06:41 PM   #12
Legolas
Jack Burton

The Archer is THE coolest kit avaliable in BG2 (in my opinion, of course )
Why?
Because it is a kit that represents the Ranger even more than the Ranger represents itself. For me, every 'true' ranger should be sneaking about the forest with a bow at the ready, guarding against intruders from a distance without ever being seen.

But also because the Archer is one of those kits whose disadvantages never provide a problem for you, as armour heavier than studded leather blocks your ability to hide in shadows, you don't really need to charm animals and so on. The only disadvantage which can be annoying is the inability to spend more than a single proficiency slot on close combat weapons. But again, this is not too much of a problem.

The Archer is the best of the best when it comes to missile weapons. Attacking from a distance, standing well out of the way of your oponnents makes the Archer kit powerful and well suited to soloing. If you don't need to close the distance, the enemy's missiles will hardly harm you. Enemy wizards standing behind a line of fighters for protection become vulnerable. Fighters have to come to you to harm you. If you're difficult to hurt, you hardly need a healer.
Another great thing about Archers is that they can take care of almost any situation without help. That is, as long as you are using the right tactics. Your strategy is more important here than with almost any other class, though magi and clergi benefit from a sound tactic for their spells. Others can tag along to help out in the melee, though Archers can certainly fight up close as well.

To me, the Archer is an almost all-round kit, with character, that is a lot of fun to play. Even if the Archer is not the driving force behind the party, he or she can really help out. And you can always use a fighter who will always stand next to the magi, offering protection.

There are many more reasons to play the Archer, as the reasons to play an Archer are many. [img]smile.gif[/img] But you have to enjoy the style of play htat comes with them. They are not a tank, nor a spellcaster. Yet they are not at their best in a supporting role lik a bard's either. Just go and see for yourself [img]smile.gif[/img]

Second choice is a Cavalier, but I'll leaveit to the cavaliers among us to explain why they are cool too

Or, try Sorcerer, Skald or Totemic Druid.

Say NO to the Trouser Tyranny!
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote