View Single Post
Old 09-12-2001, 03:00 PM   #17
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown:
I think it is patently obvious that most Americans seem to value American lives more than those of people of other countries.

It is patently obvious that most Americans care a good deal more about terrorist threats to the US than to other countries.

The same could probably be said of the attitudes of most other countries in the world. It is common to value the people closest to you more (and I mean this as much in personal and cultural senses as physical) than people further away.

I don't see any point in denying this basic truth.
Not all who are sickened by this are Americans Dio. Death of innocents is death of innocents. This has been covered live the world over.
The world was/is horrified by the genocide of the Jews, the events in Bosnia, Northern Ireland and Israel, Chile, Cambodia and the like. Tragedy is tragedy. The difference with this is the number of lives lost in but a few hours. Surely only Nagasaki and Hiroshima are worse.

Also we have the economic chaos. This is the economic capital of the world. This affects the whole world and creates confusion and anxiety in far corners.

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!