View Single Post
Old 05-23-2005, 02:58 PM   #11
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:

So I guess I'll soon be moving from Sydney to Boston! Can anyone give me any insiders' insights about Boston, mainly on the following:

• the people
  • the weather
  • the city itself - cool places to live, transportation, cost of living, etc.
  • cool beaches to go to, including surfing ones (I assume there must be some)
  • any idiosyncracies I should know about (do they still have that wierd rule where pubs close on Tuesdays??)
  • In general, what's cool about Boston! I'm assuming Boston will be as cool and cosmo as Sydney is.
  • May be a silly question, but I'm thinking of bringing my cat to the US with me (Maryrose is going to London at the same time and we're still deciding who gets Mikka). What's the rule on pets in apartments in Boston? Anyone know?
Hey, I've lived in and around Boston for going on 6 years now. The people are decent, but you gotta watch out for the "mass-holes", particularly on the roads.

As for the weather I hope you like cold and snow because thats all we get from Jan-Mar. Summers are fabulously mild with occassional heat waves breaking into the 90s and 100s.
As for Beaches, there are plenty but I don't know any surf spots first-hand. Pubs aren't closed on Tuesdays but the Subways stops running at 12:30 and the bars close at 2:00 so you need back-up transporation ready if you go out drinking late.

Oh, yeah- it's expensive to live here more so than many places. If you have a car or don't mind a train commute, you can reduce your rent by living in the burbs. We live in Natick, about 15 miles west of the city and for what we pay for a house with a yard might get you 1/2 a studiop apartment in Boston.

As for cats, we have had ours here in several places with little trouble except a pet deposit.

Whats cool about Boston? It's got History, Museums, Great sport teams and venues. Lots of things to do and see and lots of colleges! Mass is ranked as the state with the most and the best colleges. Its close to the beautiful White Mountains in New Hampshire and the Big Apple, NYC, is only 3-4 hours away. 6 flags over NEw England is 90 minutes away and has a sweet water park and some terrific roller-coasters. Oh, yeah we are close to Canada as well!

Lets me know if you have an more particular questions or if you need some one local to help with anything. I'd be happy to help.

Cheers,
Scott

[ 05-23-2005, 03:01 PM: Message edited by: Chewbacca ]