View Single Post
Old 09-28-2001, 01:47 PM   #34
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Silver Cheetah:
You can look at it in terms of state owned vs. privately owned - state being left (taken to its extreme, that's communism vs. capitalism, but that is taking it to the extreme... You get left wing and right wing within capitalism.) Left wing is more in favour of services being government run/regulated, (essential services, anyway) where as right wing would have them run as privately owned enterprise to make profit (well, profit in theory. Who profits is debatable. Oops, may just have betrayed my own bias there....

Another way of looking at it is: right wing - radical and reactionary, conservative, traditional. Left wing - advocating liberal reform and change, potentially revolutionary (that's more the far left), often leaning towards favouring government intervention to accomplish aims.

Ugh. That's not that clear. Oh well, someone else will probably explain it better. Got the below off the net. Gives a bit of history and clarifies it a bit.

No, both make perfect sense (to me anyway) . Between the 2 of us we should be able to point out Left and Right in terms that other will understand

------------------
If I am because I think, then, if I talk without thinking, I'm not really talking! Am I?