View Single Post
Old 02-08-2002, 12:22 PM   #26
Epona
Zartan

quote:
Originally posted by DragonMage:
Well, what I made with the chocolate and cheesecake is an 'instant', just-add-milk thing. Homemade, you have sugar and cream and flavoring (like vanilla or chocolate) and eggs (in some recipes). You heat the cream, then temper the eggs/sugar/flavoring with some of the hot cream. Then add it back to the pan and continue cooking until it thickens. [img]smile.gif[/img] YUMMY!

We have a few different kinds of pudding, too, but they aren't made by many people unless you have strong family traditions for things like bread pudding, etc. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Ahhhh, that's what we call blancmange I think! Kind of a firm custard.
Bread pudding, yes I'm familiar with that very stodgy the way we make it here, with dried fruit in it - and it weighs a ton. Can be eaten hot or cold.
We are very fond of puddings here in England, there is even a group called 'The Pudding Club' which is for devoted fans. They are traditionally made with suet (pork or beef fat, but veggie suet can also be used), but these days are more often made with a lighter flour recipe, for the more health concsious attitude today. The mixture is put in a glass basin with the other ingredients (meat, offal, bacon, dried fruit, jam, syrup, whatever!) a piece of cloth is tied over the top with string, then the basin is put in a large pan of water to simmer on a low heat for an hour or two.