View Single Post
Old 01-24-2002, 10:44 AM   #3
fable
Quintesson

Galadria1, unfortunately, the Republican Congress under the last administration practiced a new smear tactic of deliberately demanding Clinton's resignation with every piece of news that implicated relatives or friends of the then-president. It was previously customary to attack a president's political positions; with Clinton, all-out war was declared upon his personal life, as well. I've read one exhaustively researched book that quoted samples from every dead dog that was laid at Clinton's doorstep. It was a carefully orchestrated campaign, costing in the multi-millions of dollars, and with a goal of never letting a day go by without having some new dirt to offer.

Since the Republicans reset the rules of engagement with Clinton, the Democrats feel justified in engaging in a feeding frenzy where Dubbyah is concerned. They're not as well organized and they lack the sheer viciousness of some of the key members of the former cabal (like the previous Republican House Whip, Knute Gingrich), but they're still new at this game. For better or worse, I expect to see an escalation of these tactics when circumstances permit, and whether Dubbyah deserves it, or not. And for all that I think he's a poor president in many respects, I don't think he deserves this.

[ 01-24-2002: Message edited by: fable ]