View Single Post
Old 11-04-2001, 02:07 PM   #15
Kaleban
Manshoon

I just have a hard time believing then that the Drow have this feared and hated reputation throughout the Realms, if the extent of their combats is merely commando-style raids.

If that is the case then why does no one fear the Kobolds or Goblins who, except for abilities, do the exact same thing? An adventurer sees a Kobold party and thinks "easy exp", but switch that out for a Drow party, and the adventurer may think twice (not likely given the average wisdom it takes to take up adventuring, but you get the idea).

Now obviously, a Kobold is not nearly as powerful as a Drow warrior, but to a civilization on the surface, reputations of a species are based on what it encounters and rumours. If the only contact with the surface world and Drow are from occasional raids, I fail to see the logic in ascribing the Drow a reputation such as the one they have! Of course, if the raids are along the lines of Genghis Khan and are constant throughout history, then maybe, but no sentient being could possibly be stupid enough to allow a constant force of raiding and piracy to be within their midst (or below it) without taking some form of retribution!

It just seems rediculous to me. Rces on the surface of Faerun know that the Underdark houses all these baddies. Yet they allow it to continue an be a source of strife, piracy, etc., etc.? Something just doesn't seem right about that.