View Single Post
Old 05-18-2009, 12:31 AM   #7
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Default Re: Anti-piracy or anti-customer ?

The point being, they are reactions against theft to protect their property.

Is it more inconvenient having to speak to a bank teller/gas station attendant through a glass wall instead of face to face? Of course.

Is it more inconvenient having to take shoes off and go through tedious airline security checks?

Of course it's inconvenient, but the fault and blame lies with the thieves etc who necessitate some sort of response. Getting angry at the person or group trying - vainly in the example you provided - to mitigate the loss piracy creates is like getting angry at a mugging victim for carrying pepper spray in their bag.

It's my choice to buy a license to read a book if they require me to go back to the shop/burn after reading etc. It's their product, they can do what they like, and I as a consumer don't have to buy.

But getting ANNOYED at them for requiring this, so they can actually make some return on their investment, (so they can make more books), is pointless and misplaced. The annoyance should be with the thieves and pirates, because if the creators do nothing, why then would they bother making a product everyone is going to steal?

http://www.hughwilson.com
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote