View Single Post
Old 09-21-2001, 11:17 PM   #1
G'kar

This my response to a post on the "Either your with us or your with the terrorists" I want a broader audience and more perspectives on choosing peace or choosing violence in light of the recent world tragedy that occured in the United States. So Ive decide to post it here, instead of on that thread.

I am an American and a pacifist. I have endured several violent attacks from bigots and skinheads, one of which nearly ended my life. I expirienced deep anger, shame, self-loathing, and anxiety for some time. I understand what people here in America are going through, only we are expiriencing it on a collective scale. During my times of pain and fear, I held firm to my belief that responding to evil with evil, violence with violence perpetuates a cycle that has plaqued humanity for our entire history. So when my so called leader (I voted for the enviromental guy) declared an ultimatum to punish the nations who harbor terrorists with military force, I knew that if this happens, No real justice would be found. Only more death, more violence, more children without fathers, mothers without sons. We in america have been wounded, the deepest hurt we have felt since perhaps our own civil war. In our weakness and hurt, we respond with pride and nationalism to mask our anxiety, and in fear we seek to cause terror in those who have sown it in our own land. But all we have made quiver in TERROR are the thousands of WOMEN and CHILDREN, refugees that are clogging camps all along the borders of afganistan, running from the FEAR of cluster bombs and cruise missles. Fear and pain we are feeling here is causing prejudice toward Arab people and muslims in America. One has already died at the hands of an American who didnt even know he was hurt and afraid. Others have lost property, been spat upon, and chased by mobs and all of them were born in America, or have taken the oath of citizenship. So I stand by My country and the ideals of freedom it was founded upon, but I deny my leaders call for revenge or retaliation, via war, mass destrustion,violence. I will not lose my compassion in the face of fear, loss, and pain. An eye for an eye would make us all blind, Who shall follow a blind man on a path of revenge?

Our security and peace of mind is gone. My own Mother tells me she doesnt feel safe any more and that she fears for the safety of her children and grandchildren. Rumors are abound, that tomorrow the Boston area will have a terrorist attack. The newsmedia is downplaying it, yet announcing it as a rumor. How should I feel? scared, indifferent, certainly not invunerable, I dont know. I do know I will go to work in a very busy public place. Everyday, for a few minutes, I dedicate my own thoughts and prayers to peace for the world. I have done this for years, this all I can do now as well. And if I die tomorrow as an American and a World citizen, I will have lived in peace, so as I shall rest.