View Single Post
Old 09-12-2001, 04:18 PM   #36
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown:
I try to be flexible and keep an open mind. Please, you and Cloudy do convince me I am being too cynical here. I would like that

In any case, the media operates mainly by the funding provided by advertisements. In a sense, the media is in the business of selling advertisement space. The interests who buy the advertisement space do so because they want their messages exposed to as large a number of people as possible. Consequently, advertisers finance shows that will be popular with the public, and do not finance shows that will not be. In short, the media (because of the advertisers which finance them) tries to deliver to the public exactly what the public wants. Of course, there are exceptions, but that is the bottom line.
Well, finally we agree on some part of this. That of the media being more run by those selling advertising. And I at least now understand more of your feelings of "only what the public wants", but as stated in a different thread (sorry I can't remember who said it - he used to censor the API/UPI stuff coming over the wires) they delete out so much before it ever gets to "the public". We have no real decision. Not only that - THEY decided what we wanted to hear or see.

When I dig up a really pertinent story off the internet from overseas and share it with people I work with, they are shocked AND interested. Maybe we need to write someone (local to Federal government) once this all settles down a bit and tell them (en masse) that we WANT to know what's going on!!!

I do agree, though, to a degree that, if it's bad we usually don't want to hear it. But I don't think that's really any different than the mass populace of most other countries. That doesn't mean that they shouldn't report it to us, though. I was raised to face up to the bad stuff, deal with it and go on. Maybe I'm in the minority here (being raised that way). We, the general public, may have been more prepared than this if we had been more informed by the media of what is taking place everywhere else. I, for one, was not surprised that it happened. In my personal circle of family and friends, we've been saying that it was going to happen soon (for the last year or so). But we dig a little deeper online into news than most...

------------------
"Allright! We'll call it a draw."

"I'm INVINCIBLE! ... You're a LOONEY!"

Dare to dream. Be bold enough to try.

The day we stop learning is the day we start dying!(c)

[This message has been edited by DragonMage (edited 09-12-2001).]