View Single Post
Old 11-10-2002, 09:10 AM   #114
Galadria
20th Level Warrior

You're welcome! Thanks to you two. I have been stalled and now am forced to get on with finishing it.
Her consciousness concentrated on smaller and smaller areas of the wall in front of her, and finally she located a pit in its smooth, shining surface. Her mind inserted itself in this pit, and began to magically alter its nature. It was a small pit. This, she changed, by only one reference. It was now a large pit. She attacked the other aspect. It was not now a pit, it was a hole. A large hole. The reference inverted. It was a large hole all the way through the wall. She found the, to her, simple ward spell. I cannot let you in, it said apologetically, I must warn the master.
Her mind overcame it. No you don't, she replied. Your orders are to not let anyone in but me and my kin.
The spell altered, reformed by her magic. Yes, it said, you and your blood are welcome here, the master does not need to be informed.
So it was that Noemi, skillful at sneaking and avoiding traps, was sent in to locate her. Now, she had succeeded. "Be quiet," she instructed. "Gal and everybody are here. We're going to rescue you. But, there may be listening spells in your cell. Don't say a word. Don't worry about me. Gal convinced the place that I'm all right, don't ask me how. I'm gonna go get her. She isn't as good at this as I am," she finished with pride, glad to better than her formidable sister at something. She then disappeared. Sefa settled down for a long wait, trying to curb her impatience, but in a few minutes only, Galadria's black eye was seen in the opening.
Sefa wanted to shout in joy and relief, but held her tongue. "Hold on a minute longer, Sefa," her mistress instructed in a low voice. The eye then closed, leaving Sefa to gaze adoringly at its silky lashes. Then, the opening suddenly enlarged. Galadria was seen laying on the other side, her cheek on her long-fingered hands. She seemed to be asleep, but Sefa knew better than to break into the mage-trance. Suddenly, her eyes opened and Galadria scrambled up, grabbed Sefa by the hand, and started to run. Immmediately, bells began to ring and horns blew. "Snurll, Snurll, Snurll," voices chanted.
They had almost reached the opening when Snurll himself materialised in front of them. "You," he snarled, recognizing Galadria at once. "Well, you may be mighty and have breached my walls, but you may not act against me, here in my stronghold." He made a gesture, and, out of a sudden clud of mist, two disembodied hands appeared. They clutched her throat with a viselike grip, choking her. She could not get a spell off.
But, Snurrl had forgotten the hole in his wall behind him, and he heard a cold, aristocratic voice say. "No, but then, I am outside your walls, foul thief," A spell from Cythera blasted the hands away, then Odo and Attalus sprang in, attacking Snurrl with mace and sword. He immediately collapsed into a bleeding heap.
Galadria is offline   Reply With Quote