Thread: Fallout3
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2007, 09:43 AM   #23
Gnarf
Emerald Dragon

Default Re: Fallout3

Level scaling!

Read in some interview a while back that they were going to ditch level-scaling and make a proper game out of it instead (that is, one where your level affected what challenges you could overcome, and thus made some sense, rather than one where all challenges were adjusted so that you could beat anything any time). Then in some preview I managed to get a bit interested in the combat system. Seemed like a game it might be I'd pick up.

Now, according to this, it will scale entire areas to match the level you are when you first enter them. Each area has a range of levels that it can't go outside, but it still sounds like it'll be silly broken and exploitable. First thing springing to mind is that you'll be in easymode if you make sure to visit as many areas as possible early in the game, "locking" them to their lowest possible level.

I really don't much enjoy buying games and then relying on modders to fix them :\

Edit: And in case it isn't entirely clear. By "ditch level-scaling", I mean removing it from the Oblivion engine. Not implying that there was such a thing in the earlier Fallouts.

Last edited by Gnarf; 08-21-2007 at 09:45 AM.
Gnarf is offline   Reply With Quote