View Single Post
Old 09-21-2003, 08:37 PM   #23
Tancred
White Dragon

This is amazing.

What unsettles me here is the thought that someone sat down and thought this up - either in a moment of inspiration ("I know! I'll do THIS") or from planning ("Hmm... of all my ideas, this one is the best"). They then sat down and carefully coded it, constructed it, playtested it and then released it for general consumption.

They may have agonised over it day after day, weighing up the moral implications of what they were refering to, eventually deciding that the mod should go ahead; or they just went ahead and did it with no thoughts on a moral level at all, or any scenario in between. But they still did it.

That's either an act of supreme force of will, of total, idiotic blindness, or of both. Like I say, I'm amazed this was done.

I daresay in a week or so, once the details have sunk in, I'll feel focused enough to be appalled. But until then, I remain gobsmacked.

As for freedom of speech... bah. You may hold an opinion and be extremely vocal about it, but then *I* have the freedom to tell you to take your opinion and stuff it, for example. However, I do not... I know that would hurt your feelings and make you angry. This discussion should not be about freedom of speech. This discussion should be about human understanding, possibly even human empathy... or, conversely, the lack of it.