Thread: Flag Etiquette
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2001, 12:52 PM   #8
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Hm, Kaz...the rules that I copied in were from the U.S. Government code of rules for the handling and display of the American flag. I think there can be quite some leeway for civilian display of the flag, especially for those in a foreign country (and that is a VERY touching display that you mention, blessings on the administrators of your school!)

My "beef" in particular has to do with our cable company here in town, which is located right across the street from my wife's work. First of all, they hoisted the flag up on one of their ANTENNA towers (!), then have left it to be buffeted by the wind and rain. The flag is now torn in several locations, is wrapped around one of the metal posts of the tower, and is a general eyesore. That to me is an insult rather than an inspiration. That flag should be removed and ceremoniously burned. I keep thinking that the city should slap that company with a citation, but no one around here does anything like that. I don't know if there's anyone I can complain to, either. I called up the cable company and complained about it, and they didn't even offer an explanation or seem interested one way or another about it. It seems to me that all they were interested in doing was hoisting a flag up so that people wouldn't see them as "unpatriotic" and stop doing business with them, since they obviously have so little interest in it now. That, in my book, is despicable.

There's plenty of other instances of disrespect I've seen shown the flag in this town, either due to negligence or ignorance, but that one takes the cake. *sigh*

------------------

I know who you are...I saw what you did!